Wednesday 25 June 2008

Tiber River Gelato


A beautiful night in Rome, my friends and I decided we would go down to the Tiber River. For the past two weeks on our way to school we have watched the gradual set up of the stands and tents lining the river. Not exactly sure what they were setting up for we hoped they would be finished in time for us to experience whatever it happened to be.

We were pleasantly surprised when we got down to the river. Roman teenagers and young adults were sitting along the river socializing. There were food stands, bars, and accessories shops lining the river on one side. On the other side, there were large seating areas overlooking the river. Quickly I felt submersed into the Roman culture. We sat down and enjoyed not only each others company but the culture around us. The only thing left to do was get my favorite Italian specialty, gelato! Luckily there was a gelato stand a few feet away from where we were sitting. I convinced some of my friends to come with me. Of course I got the fruit di bosco, but this time I added a special touch. I got caramel syrup on top. It was the first time I saw it offered in a gelateria. Gelato in hand, sitting on the Tiber with friends is my idea of a perfect night in Italy.

No comments: