Wednesday 25 June 2008

Villa Doira Pamphilj

On an extremely hot Monday morning, I set out to meet my group for our guided walk lead by Allison. At 9:00 a.m. the heat from the Roman sun was so oppressive that \we decided to catch a bus to Villa Doira Pamphilj. It was the first time that I was asked for my validated bus ticket. Thankfully, Jessica our group leader had told us that we needed to purchase tickets before we got on the bus, or I might have been out fifty euros for a one euro bus ride. The bus dropped us off just steps from Villa Doria Pamphilj. Villa Doria Pamphilj is one of Rome’s largest public parks. At first sight I was not overly impressed with the garden. However, once we walked a little ways down the dirt path lined with trees, my impression completely changed. Astonished by the extravagant building that lay in front of me, we quickly walked as closer to get a better view. The villa was the summer residence for Prince Camillo Pamphilj. The villa, fountains and summerhouses were paid for by Pope Innocent X. The beautiful gardens seemed to never end, with people walking, running, playing or just sitting on a bench taking in the beautiful scenery. It reminded me of Central Park in New York City. None the less, it was a nice break from the craziness of the city. Our tour ended at my favorite spot, Giolitti’s. Surprisingly and sadly, it was some of my group members first Giolitti’s experience! It was a great end to a lovely day.

No comments: